The lack of affordable housing has been a problem in Orange County for some time. Even for those who are housed, the line between paying the rent and being out on the street is a fragile one. The COVID pandemic has further exacerbated the housing crisis and strained resources beyond their maximum capacity. For instance, the Orange County Housing Authority is so log-jammed it no longer accepts applications for its waiting list. However, there remain some options for people who need rental assistance:
Salvation Army of Southern California
- 1515 W. North St., Anaheim, 92801, Telephone: (714) 783-2344. This Anaheim location provides services in Buena Park, Villa Park, Brea, Fullerton, La Habra, Placentia, Yorba Linda, and of course Anaheim.
- 17261 Oak Lane, Huntington Beach, 92647, Main telephone: (714)841-0150. Salvation Army centers helps people in Corona Del Mar, Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Seal Beach
- 1710 West Edinger, Santa Ana, 92704, call (714) 384-0481 for intake. Serves Fountain Valley, Irvine, Orange, Santa Ana, and Tustin
- South County Family Center is at 616 South El Camino Real, #B-2, San Clemente, 92672, call (949) 366-6652. Covers cities and towns of Alisa Viejo, Dana Point, Foothill Ranch, Irvine, Laguna Beach, Lake Forest, Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, Rancho Santa Marguerita, San Clemente, and San Juan Capistrano.
- West County office is at 7245 Garden Grove Blvd. #A, Garden Grove, 92841, dial (714) 901-1480. The Family Service Center covers Cypress, Garden Grove, Los Alamitos, La Palma, Midway City, Stanton, and Westminster California.
WISEPlace Santa Ana
Mercy House Santa Ana
Friendly Center, Inc. Orange
Assistance League of Orange Orange
Share Ourselves Costa Mesa
St. Joachim Catholic Church (St. Vincent De Paul ministry) Costa Mesa
Lutheran Social Services of Southern California Fullerton
South County Outreach Irvine
Many of these facilities are not taking in-person appointments due to COVID or have limited hours. If you’re looking for something more specific, feel free to reach out, and our team will be happy to help.